Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
Since you are a DIY guy and so are others here, I have a question. Why did Altec use 5/8 inch plywood in their A7's and not 3/4 inch? So many times I hear of reenforcing the boxes on the original 825's and 828's. The most generally accepted version installs 2x4's inside the boxes. The 828's have reenforcement on the backside, so do I need to reenforce my 825's. I don't want to fool around with the original design if it's not necessary. I could use a little more bass though. I still love those A7's...
Thanks
Hi,

Nice to see your response......

Actually my answer will be that I am going to build only the original design......with all its underbraced-ness & rickety-ness & resounding-ness with the hollow cavities behind the horn flares. That's what an actual A7 is all about. It was purposefully designed like that.....to resound all the way. My only change will be at the x-over point, which will make it more suitable for my personal home use. And also adjusting the port tunning to suit my LF driver.

Ofcourse Altec engineers changed the later designs, by using 3/4" plywood and sealing off the horn cavities. But they also kept changing the LF drivers. So it is kind of difficult to say. But it is for sure that the designers of A7 definitely knew the difference between 5/8" & 3/4" plywood. I want the A7 for its typical bass quality, and it will surely change if I go for too much of bracing, thicker wood etc. I will just take care that there are no unwanted leaks around. Even I will not change the amount of fiberglass insulation and its location. This is also very important for the sound quality, and I have experience of this in the past.

Thanks
Aditya